1 med Roasting chicken
2 x Onions
4 x Cloves garlic
2 tsp Dark soya sauce
3 tbl Tauco (salted yellow beans)
1 tsp Brown sugar
1 tsp Paprika (optional)
1/2 tsp Chilli powder
1 tsp Ground ginger
2 tbl Vegetable oil
1/2 cup Tamarind water
1 cup Water
* This recipe calls for 'tauco' which can be either salted black beans or salted yellow beans. Either can be found in a Chinese market as salted black bean or salted yellow bean sauce. Or you can track down Indonesian salted yellow beans and smash 'em up yourself. Thai markets carry them.
* Cut the chicken into serving pieces; wash, and dry. Slice the onions.
* Pound the garlic and the tauco into a smooth paste.
* Fry the onions in the oil for half a minute. Add the tauco, then the chicken. Stir well, so that every part of the chicken is coated with tauco. Put in the soya sauce and the rest of the ingredients.
* Cover, and simmer very gently for 45 minutes. Then take the lid off, and cook for a further 5 minutes to reduce the sauce. Serve hot.
* Makes 4 servings.